The Olander Park System
The Olander Park System provides Sylvania Township and the surrounding community with five parks and numerous public events and activities.
The Olander Park System (also known as TOPS) manages the following five parks. Click on a park’s name for its location, hours, activities and more.
1. Olander Park is best known for 28-acre Olander Lake where you can fish, rent paddle or row boats, swim at our supervised natural sand beach, and rent picnic shelters or our community hall.
3. Sylvan Prairie Park is a 150-acre natural area encircled by the Quarry Ridge Bike Trail.
2. Fossil Park allows kids of all ages to dig for the fossils of ancient ocean creatures in 375 million year old Devonian Era shale deposits.
4. Whetstone Park is a 3-acre neighborhood park with an ADA accessible playground.
5. Southview Oak Savanna is a 7-acre remnant of the rare Oak Openings Savanna plant community located along the University Parks Bike Trail.
In the event of a Level 2 or Level 3 Snow Emeregency, all TOPS Parks remain closed until the county lifts the restriction and park system staff can safely plow its sites. Visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/TheOlanderParkSystem for updates.
The Ice on Lake Olander is CLOSED!! as of 3/18/2014
The warmer temperatures and rain have made the ice unstable, and there are some spots of open water along the shores. Red flags are flying to indicate the unsafe conditions. We do not expect the ice to be opened again this season.
TOPS' major annual events include the Maple Sugaring Fest, Easter Egg Hunt, Kids Trout Derby, “Sunset Serenades” Concert Series, Super Kids & Sylvania Triathlons, Halloween Hike and numerous family and community programs and events that promote the area’s natural habitats and meet the physical activity needs of our constituents.
Check out the Program Calendar below or go to our Upcoming Events page
to learn more about the events that will be happening soon.
Maple Fest, March 22, 1-4pm, Olander Park
Easter Egg Hunt, April 12, sessions as 9am, 10am, 11am and noon, Olander Park, Registration required at 419.882.8313 ext. 50
Trout Derby, April 26, 8am Registration, 9am to 1pm Fishing, Olander Park
Sunset Serenades, Alternating Wednesdays starting June 4 through August 13, 7pm, Olander Park
Halloween Hike, October 25, 6pm, Olander Park
Honor Someone Special by Donating a Bench or Tree
Purchase a bench or a tree as a memorial or as a gift in honor of a loved one's special achievement.
See our Donations page
for more information.