The Olander Park System
The Olander Park System provides Sylvania Township and the surrounding community with five parks and numerous public events and activities.
The Olander Park System (also known as TOPS) manages the following five parks. Click on a park’s name for its location, hours, activities and more.
1. Olander Park is best known for 28-acre Olander Lake where you can fish, rent paddle or row boats, swim at our supervised natural sand beach, and rent picnic shelters or our community hall.
3. Sylvan Prairie Park is a 150-acre natural area encircled by the Quarry Ridge Bike Trail.
2. Fossil Park allows kids of all ages to dig for the fossils of ancient ocean creatures in 375 million year old Devonian Era shale deposits.
4. Whetstone Park is a 3-acre neighborhood park with an ADA accessible playground.
5. Southview Oak Savanna is a 7-acre remnant of the rare Oak Openings Savanna plant community located along the University Parks Bike Trail.
In the event of a Level 2 or Level 3 Snow Emeregency, all TOPS Parks remain closed until the county lifts the restriction and park system staff can safely plow its sites. Visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/TheOlanderParkSystem for updates.
The Ice on Lake Olander is OPEN!! as of 2/26/14
The colder temperatures have made the ice stable again. Green flags are flying now but check to make sure the red flags aren't up before you go on the ice.
TOPS' major annual events include the Maple Sugaring Fest, Easter Egg Hunt, Kids Trout Derby, “Sunset Serenades” Concert Series, Super Kids & Sylvania Triathlons, Halloween Hike and numerous family and community programs and events that promote the area’s natural habitats and meet the physical activity needs of our constituents.
Check out the Program Calendar below or go to our Upcoming Events page to learn more about the events that will be happening soon.
Honor Someone Special by Donating a Bench or Tree
Purchase a bench or a tree as a memorial or as a gift in honor of a loved one's special achievement.
See our Donations page for more information.